Saturday, November 30, 2013

Boozy Sweet Potato Casserole


Sweet potato casserole! Oh God, I think I'm gonna throw up. Today, the Piepan household had Thanksgiving with some dear friends a day late, as service industry/retail people often have to, and I am TOO FULL. TOO FULL!!! But it was awesome, and we made all the requisite dishes, including my very favorite (besides stuffing, because DUH), my sweet potato casserole. It's such a simple thing, and people looooooovvvvve to fuck with it, and end up adding too much...everything. I've had some BAD sweet potato casseroles, folks, and I'm here to make sure you never have a bad one again. Also, who knows? Maybe you'll have me over for dinner and make some sweet potatoes. Maybe you'll try to jazz it up with something Rachel Ray told you to use, and I'll have to say it's good, and I'm a terrible liar. It'll be embarrassing for us both. So, let's keep it simple, okay? Here's how you can make it awesome, and this recipe gives you an excuse to buy a bottle of Grand Marnier, which makes lots of dishes life better.

Here's what you need:

7 or so medium sweet potatoes
4 Tbl butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
zest of 1/2 an orange
1/4 cup Grand Marnier, plus three tablespoons, plus a shot for the chef
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
mini marshmallows 

First off, poke each of your sweet potatoes with a knife or fork a few times. This will let heat escape as they cook, so they won't explode. 


Put 'em all on a baking sheet and put it in the oven at about 375. Keep 'em in there until they can easily be pierced by a fork, about 30-45 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes. Once they are done, let them cool until they can be handled.

Now take the skin off. I usually cut it off with a paring knife, but if your knife skills are lacking, or you're just feeling lazy, you can cut them in half longways and scoop out the goods from the skins. It shouldn't prove to be too tricky.


Toss all the potato guts into a big mixing bowl with the butter, sugar, zest, vanilla, and the 1/4 cup Grand Marnier


Now mash it up! You can also use a food processor or hand mixer or whatever. Once all the lumps are out, give it a taste test. I like to let the natural sweetness of the potato shine through, so my recipe isn't crazy sweet. Add more sugar or booze if you need to.


Now plop the whole mixture in your baking pan of choice, and use a spatula to make the top flat(ish). Drizzle about a Tablespoon and a half of the Grand Marnier on top...


Then finish with the marshmallows


Now bake it at about 375 until the mallows are ALMOST at your desired done-ness. I like mine just a little toasty. When you think "I'll give them five more minutes", take the remaining 1 1/2 Tablespoon of the Grand Marnier and drizzle it all over those mallows. In a few minutes, you'll have an awesome side to bring to any potluck, Thanksgiving, or to deliver straight to your mouth while you watch Parks and Rec in your jammies.




No comments:

Post a Comment