Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Friend to all Candy: Orange and Strawberry Kit Kats



Last time, we talked about a fancy candy bar that had mushrooms and shit in it. This time we're swinging the candy pendulum to the far side of the spectrum and tasting two varieties of Kit Kat, strawberry and orange.

The orange ones are from that expedition to World Market a couple of weeks back. They seem to be European imports, and maybe I'm totally wrong about this, but it seems like not only is the European packaging less wasteful (and thinner), but it seems to put the amount of calories front and center. What does it say about me that I don't know what we put on our candy wrappers? I look at them long enough to make sure it's a Mr. Goodbar and not a Krackel and then I open it and shove it in my face. Maybe I will start paying more attention to candy packaging from now on, or maybe I will end this sentence and forget entirely that I ever thought about it.

I'd show you a pic of the orange Kit Kat in all its glory, but there's really no point. It just looks like a regular-ass Kit Kat. But the taste? So good. It doesn't seem like real orange flavoring, but that's fine. It has a sort of Fruit Loops aftertaste. It's that sort of orange flavor.

The strawberry Kit Kat is a different beast altogether. It's a Japanese import that Beth picked up at 888 International Market the other day. Japan is a huge market for Kit Kats, to the point that the world's first Kit Kat specialty store opened in January in Ikebukuro. They don't fuck around with their flavors, either. Check this out:


Here it is. The coloring is pink with flecks of red. It's not just a saccharine fake strawberry flavor. The tart elements of the fruit come through as well, which was surprising. We've been shoving these in our face every chance we get. And we definitely want to get our hands on some of the other flavors. I've had the green tea ones before, but they're not easy to come by. I'm gonna do some snooping around, and hopefully I'll have some more taste tests for you all soon.

2 comments:

  1. I am skeptical of the candies, but I might have to check out that international market myself to try them. (As an aside, I saw that 888 Intl Market has a meat section; do you know if they have pork bellies? I really wanna get me a pork belly. : D)

    ReplyDelete
  2. their meat section is AMAZING. we get pork belly there on the regular. really, the place is a wonderland.

    ReplyDelete