Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Tan Tan Yogurt Dip



I feel bad even putting this up as a post because it's maybe the easiest thing on earth. But it also happens to be ridiculously good, so maybe you'll forgive me.

Beth stumbled upon this Eataku recipe developed from David Chang's offhand suggestion that you could combine sour cream with a leftover flavor packet from instant ramen to make a dip. Beth has been obsessed with tan tan ramen, which is a Japanese take on Szechuan dan dan noodles. Tan tan ramen is spicy and sweet and salty and sesame-y, and is amazing. While Beth's been making her own version of the tan tan ramen sauce, we've been buying refrigerated packets of tan tan ramen because they have good, cheap noodles. This, of course, leaves us with lonely sauce packets that have no home. I thought my heart would break. It would be shame to see all that deliciousness go to waste.

So I decided to see if I could make a tan tan dip. And I did. Here's what you need:


That's it, fools. Greek yogurt (I guess you could use any kind, but I don't know why you'd use anything but Fage) and a Tan tan ramen sauce packet. For every cup of yogurt, put in 1.5 Tbsp of sauce. 


Then you mix it up.


I used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream in part because I love Fage and would mainline it if I could, but also because the grainier texture of Greek yogurt works well with the inherently grainy texture of tan tan ramen sauce (created mostly by the sesame paste).


Look, you can dress it up if you want with green onions and garlic and what have you, but most of the flavors you want are already in the tan tan sauce itself, so it's great as is. Grab some 'tato chips and have at it. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment